Monday, December 25, 2006

From Focus on the Family...

Letting go of what isn't mine...

When teaching, I sometimes ask someone to lend me a pencil. Then I break it in half, throw it on the ground and crush it under my foot.
The audience's reaction is shock. What right do I have to break someone else's pencil? But then I explain that it's really my pencil. I planted it beforehand with the person. So I have the right to do with it as I please. Paul makes a similar point in 1 Corinthians 6.
The believers in Corinth lived as if their lives were their own. But Paul tells them they own nothing, not even themselves. God is the only one who has the right to do what He wants with your life--your body, your behavior, your money, your possessions. How we handle these demonstrates who we believe is the true owner: God or ourselves.

by Randy Alcorn

1 comment:

enji said...

that's scary and comforting at the same time.